5.2.09

Premiere Post

An intro, perhaps.

My name is Kevin Hatton and I am an aspiring chef. Currently, I am working as a garde manger commis (cold foods prep cook) in the main kitchen at the Palace of Auburn Hills (you know, where the Detroit Pistons play) and attending culinary school at the Culinary Studies Institute at Oakland Community College.

They're both pretty good gigs. I ought to be getting paid more at the Palace (and my first performance review is coming up - I've only been there for about 4 1/2 months) but such is life. School is going well, the culinary classes I'm currently taking are Restaurant Meat Cutting and Intro to the Culinary Arts.
Intro has been a breeze so far since all the practicals are things I've already learned how to do at work.
Meat Cutting is tricky, there is a lot to remember and it's remarkably precise art.

I'm also taking English Composition I because I have to - but don't worry, I still like it. Intro to French, because I need an Arts or Humanities and I love french culture. And finally, Astronomy because I need a math or science and it's fascinating. Hard, but fascinating.

So that's me, what's this blog?

Inspired by my dear friend Katie Mack von Erck's chronicling of her home gastronomic adventures, I've decided that someone might actually be interested in what I'm doing. Other than myself and my parents that is.

So the contents of this blog will include dishes more than recipes. If I cook something at home I'll post the recipe, but things I do at school or work might be harder to remember (or remember to bring my copy of the recipe home). I will also include  things that I have eaten as my palate becomes more advanced and I become open to new things (seriously, the things I've eaten the last six months and the things I have been dying to try would probably have made me vomit a year ago). Finally there will be included rants about chefs, food trends, miscellaneous jibba jabba, and etcetera.

So there it is, please enjoy

1 comment:

  1. woo hoo! so excited to read this, kev. you're gonna have to teach my some fancy pants things. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, please remember to come back for seconds