14.2.09

I have one thing in common with Wylie Dufresne

Breakfast is my favorite meal. I love tempting fate with pancakes. My usual deviations include some manner of adding cinnamon, ground cloves, vanilla, and nutmeg. Lately, I have also introduced almond extract (or Amaretto if I am feeling especially indulgent, although amaretto changes the gelatinous nature of the batter, be forewarned). This morning I went way off the reservation.

The batter itself included cinnamon BUT, oh but, I messed with the liquids. I replaced a quarter of the milk I would have used with heavy whipping cream. On the side, I took some apple and diced it up (small to medium dice, I went somewhere in between). Brushed it with butter and a gave it a super quick saute. Just enough heat to get that butter to brown. Then I sprinkled more cinnamon on the apples. Took it off the heat and poured the pancake batter on the flat top. That's when I distributed the apples.

It didn't really work out. I have some details to tweak. The apple didn't cook enough - should saute it longer. Things like that. The batter itself wasn't thick enough to support apple chunks. Anyway the whole thing needs work. 

The point of this post is to encourage experimentalism. Where would we be with out it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, please remember to come back for seconds