7.2.09

A little about my job

The Palace of Auburn Hills has an extensive kitchen. Well, kitchens. There is the Main Kitchen - where I work - that houses the "front line", "banquets", "pastries", the not oft used "deli/pantry", "suite kitchen", and where I work specifically "garmo". There are also satellite kitchens that specialize in certain areas of the Palace, like the Ameriprise kitchen services The Ameriprise Club.

The front line almost exclusively serves the restaurant, though they also help with banquets. The front line is most likely what you picture in a regular restaurant as being the whole kitchen. This is where I would like most to be working.
Banquets services all the clubs and suites and other VIP rooms/parties. Sometimes assisting the front line
Suite kitchens do something. I've yet to figure out just what quite yet, but I know they have lots of sauces, but no chef.
And finally, there is Garde Manger. That's me.

I'm a garde manger commis (cold foods prep cook). I also set-up and often operate the "raw bar" at the Old No. 7 Club directly adjacent to the Palace Grille. 
The raw bar is what they call a scoop and serve operation. That is to say everything that needs to be cooked is cooked. All I have to do really is plate it. At my raw bar we serve salads, hot and BBQ wings, chicken strips, nachos, sliders, caesar wraps, and a nightly special.
On event days I am typically preparing all cold food items for that raw bar as well as the raw bar in Club 53 (if there is one). That means dicing and quartering tomatoes, dicing and slicing onions, chicken, making the caesar wraps and all of those sorts of things. Then as I'm setting up the cold food at the raw bar I am also picking up the hot food from banquets.
On prep days (and indeed sometimes on event days) I spend my time fabricating fruits and vegetables as well as meat platters, subs and anything else we may need. I often make salads like a yukon chipotle roasted poblano flank salad, it was quite a salad, my best so far.

That's what I do in a nutshell. I love my job, I'm learning so much and all the chefs there are really awesome. So are most of the cooks.

School is pretty cool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, please remember to come back for seconds