15.3.09

Just what I needed

Today at work was interesting in a good and bad way.

My morning sucked, like totally blew chunks really hard everywhere. Aggravating co-worker and tedious/monotonous/completely disinteresting tasks.

Boring has been the theme of most of my days at the Palace of late. I like my job, but the boring monotony is really getting under my skin. I want something more active. I used to learn something new every time I walked into work, but lately I haven't done anything new or exciting in quite some time. No learning experiences, no adventures to write home about.

But today ended on a high note, thankfully. It was the sort of burst I needed to revitalize my desire to work at the Palace. I got to work with my bosses boss. The executive sous chef to be more accurate, Chef Jeff. He kept calling me General Patton, I guess it's a play on my last name. I liked it though.

Tomorrow night is the employee of the year recognition dinner and for it they are having braised short ribs=yummy. I had the pleasure of preparing the short ribs for their two hour hot bath. I seared four sheet trays worth of short ribs in a large tilt skillet with mireapoix (that's a 1:1:2 ratio of carrots, celery, and onion), garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Then I added tomato paste and deglazed with merlot and beef stock. Smelled fantastic.

It was the perfect ending, I got to something new and exciting with great product (not to mention I finally got a great hot cooking experience) and Chef Jeff taught me quite a few things about braising. Tis good.

I only wish I could taste those short ribs once their done.

1 comment:

  1. here here! on the monotony of work business... it sucks that things haven't been the greatest, but i'm glad it ended well with chef jeff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, please remember to come back for seconds